02 April 2008

Back in the saddle again

...not only was a great composition by iconic Aerosmith, but it accurately describes where I am in my training as of today.

Prior to today, well, Monday, I had done absolutely no physical activity for about eight days due to a back injury. Through a network of great friends, who consequently happen to be orthopedic surgeons, urologists, pathologists, physical therapists, and just about every "ist" you can imagine, it was determined that I tore some muscle in my lower back with some damage to some sensitive tissue around my L-4/L-5 area. Lots of Ph.D.'s and MD's said a lot of big words that I really didn't understand, but I liked the way they sounded to my ears, so I listened for a while, and determined all of it sounded good. I've been following their advice for therapy, and the pain is slowly but surely subsiding (another word I heard them use...not quite sure what it means, but it looks pretty). I just today am able to bend at the waist forward and achieve a 90 degree angle. I can't properly stretch my hamstrings yet, but I'm gaining more range of motion every day. Today I was able to knock out an 8 mile run followed by about 2100m in the water. Flipturns are still a bit iffy, as I have to modify my ninja stealthy flip by performing what can best be described as something you would see an arthritic, pregnant woman do. No offense, but it is fairly accurate, I think ;)

As Inigo Montoya said to Wesley after awakening from Miracle Max's miracle pill, "Lemme 'splain. No, there is too much. Lemme sum up..." If I am able to recover from this nuisance in a reasonable amount of time, then I will next compete in the 2012 Olympic Development race in Tuscaloosa, AL on 20 April. If not, then I will still go to Tusca-paloosa and spectate, as I've already purchased a non-refundable plane ticket; all the while continuing to prepare for St. Anthony's Triathlon on 27 April in St. Petersburg, FL.

Until next time, watch The Princess Bride, if you haven't already, to understand my humor in the above paragraph.

Z

2 comments:

JP said...

I actually think flip turns are overrated. I prefer to spin like an arthritic pregnant woman myself. I find it more efficient than all that flipping crap.

Unknown said...

*head falls down in a nod-like movement*

(that was a quote, see? from the PB)

regardless, don't die. feel better. etc.

~Alison