20 December 2009

A year in review (horribly original...I know)

Comprehensive title, don't you think? Don't worry, I won't bore you to death with a summary of this past year, or why I have disappeared from blogging (okay, maybe a little).

The meat and potatoes:

A couple months ago I was having some energy and GI issues that I won't disclose for the sake of your lunch, but it turns out I have crohn's/ulcerative colitis. I went in for a colonoscopy and the doctor removed a pre-cancerous 1.2 cm polyp from my cecum and found an (un)healthy amount of inflammation scattered through my colon. Where do I go from here? I have been eating a fairly strict diet and taking some necessary drugs to calm things down. Other than that, I have no complaints. A fellow triathlete and Canadian Olympic team member, Paul Tichelaar, also suffers from Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and he is quite a successful triathlete. He has helped me answer a ton of questions regarding training, racing, diet, and everything that he has to deal with regarding IBD.

Following the diagnosis I have been maintaining my fitness, and getting ready for a serious winter load of training. For the 2010 season, now that I have my elite license, I will focus primarily on ITU draft-legal racing in an effort to earn enough points to race some World Cup events. Over the past month or so, I have been averaging some pretty solid mileage run weeks, and watching some cult-classic Kung Fu movies while putting some time in on my trainer. Riding on the trainer can be mind numbing, but I am more than convinced that it leads to increased fitness and strength on the hog. Why do I call it a hog? Simple. It sounds more manly to call a bicycle a "hog," because I really don't do anything extremely "manly." When the majority of my week is spent wearing tight spandex, I'll take the man points where I can get them. What's the name of my hog? Iceman.

On all other fronts, things are good. My parents have three six month-old Golden Doodles running around the backyard, and it's so cute that it makes you want to vomit. It's cuddly.

Christmas is around the corner, and I'm more than excited to see my three and five year old nieces on Christmas day. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, and I promise to be mused more often to bring you bountiful bundles of blogging bliss.

"...'Tis the season to be Merry."

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

WOW! Hope you're getting your strength and energy back. We'll be praying for you and hope you have a great 2010 season.

Jimmy Fuqua